As the leaves begin to change and the air becomes a bit crisper, we crave things to be a bit richer and sweeter. Caramel corn is a classic fall favorite…and why shouldn’t it be? It’s sweet, it’s crunchy, and it’s easy to make, too!
- 3 tablespoons of corn oil
- 1/2 cup popcorn kernels
- pinch of salt
- 1 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup corn syrup
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) butter
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup nuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 250° F and grease a large, shallow roasting pan, set aside.
- Heat a large pot with a lid over high heat. Add oil and corn kernels. Pop the popcorn, shaking the pot constantly until all of the kernels are popped. Pour the popcorn into the roasting pan, sprinkle with some salt, and put into the oven.
- Mix brown sugar, corn syrup, and 1/2 teaspoon of salt in a heavy medium-sized saucepan. Stir constantly and bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Boil for five minutes without stirring. Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and baking soda. The mixture will foam a bit, but don’t worry. Be sure to mix well.
- Pour the syrup over the warm popcorn, stirring to coat evenly. You can add the nuts at this point, as well, if you wish.
- Bake for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and spread onto a sheet of parchment paper or foil that has been greased and allow to cool.
- Once cool, break apart and enjoy! Store the leftovers in an air-tight container.