So, do you think you know all about Des Moines?
Movoto’s latest blog post highlights 43 facts about Des Moines, that you probably didn’t know about. After reading through the list, I think I’m ready for the next trivia night at a downtown bar (although there usually isn’t a Des Moines category).
These are some of my favorite facts from the article.
- In 2011, town officials from the Des Moines suburb Ankeny used garlic salt donated by the local Tone Brothers Inc. spice company to help melt snow and de-ice 400 miles of roads.
- That infamous Ozzy Osbourne bat bite incident? That happened in Des Moines during an 1982 concert at Veterans Memorial Auditorium. According to Ozzy, the bat was “very salty.”
- Local favorite Zombie Burger + Drink Lab is known for creating burgers that pay homage to pop culture. Past creations have included “The Ron Burgundy” and “The Nacho Man Randy Savage.”
- In 2010, “Man vs. Food” host Adam Richman travelled to Des Moines to try (and ultimately fail) Adam Emmenecker Challenge at Jethro’s BBQ.
- The Iowa State Fair is famous for its annual butter cow sculpture, which has been a fair staple since 1911.
- To read more facts about Des Moines from Movoto – click here.